25 May 2006

The Movers and Moving

Today someone from the moving company is coming to evaluate our possessions. He's going to laugh and say, "That's it? You need movers for this small amount of crap?" We essentially have 2 couches and an armoire, and the rest is books, clothes, kitchen stuff, and random stuff. But we obviously can't bring all that on the plane. And we're hoping it gets integrated with our San Diego apartment, which is still in storage, so it all gets to San Francisco together.

It's going to be weird to get two apartements' worth of stuff delivered to us in SF. We'll have to sort through our old SD stuff and our new DC stuff and decide what should be thrown out, what should be given away, and what can stay. And what we'll still have to buy. For DC living, we had to buy practically a whole new kitchen, and I tried to buy dishes that will go with our SD stuff, but I've started to forget what our old stuff looks like. We're going to have enough dishes to feed more people than we know, and the dishes will all be mismatched.

And all our books and CDs and movies. We'll have to buy a lot more shelving space. I think we threw out some of our bookcases when we left SD because we didn't think they'd survive another move. We bought a bookcase here, but it doesn't even hold all the books we've purchased while we've been here.

Oh, and I tend to forget that Mike had a whole garage full of bike stuff in SD. That's all in storage, too, and will need a place to live in SF. Finding an apartment or house with a garage will be difficult.

Living without your usual possessions for a while makes you realize that they aren't really that important. I know that sounds so after-school-specially. Sure, it's nice to have stuff, and I've missed watching movies on a big screen TV instead of a small computer monitor, but it's not the end of the world; I still get to watch the movies. It's certainly not essential for survival. I'm not going entirely zen or minimalist here, but I'd like to think I'm at least more aware of what we need versus what we want, and spending habits and investment items.

Everytime I think about our stuff that's been in storage for the last year, it's always the same things that I think about missing the most -- my books and CDs and movies. I guess I like media.

No comments: