03 August 2006

All Knit Up

I'm having a knitting issue. I don't want to call it a problem, because the fabric looks nice, but I'm not quite sure how I'm achieving it. I'm going to post over in Stitchers' Guild, but I wanted to collect my thoughts here first.

I've been working on a scarf. It's my second knitting project ever. When I first got started, I picked up my warm-up piece to get back into practice and I just did what felt natural. After a few rows I was confident I had my knit back (I haven't knit since Christmas time), so I cast on some pretty yarn and knit away. Three skeins and about 50 inches later, I decided to take an evening off and rest my hands. I picked up Confessions of Knitting Heretic and became intrigued by the combination knitting style. I studied the photos of western knitting, and my stiches didn't quite look like that. I looked at the eastern knitting illustrations, and mine didn't quite look like that either. Wow, I must somehow be doing combination knitting! Nope. My stitches don't look exactly like that. So, what am I doing? My fabric looks (to my untrained eye) like it's been knit into the garter stitch. But my technique doesn't match anything in any of my books--the books I originally used to teach myself. I've taken a couple photos. I really don't know how to explain what I'm doing. I'm hoping a knitter who knows what she's doing can look at them and figure me out.

I'm not too concerned. I'm going to finish the scarf in the same manner I've been doing it. Why change now? It's almost done and I like the way it looks. Then I'll go back to my books and work on my purling for my next project.

2 comments:

California Girl said...

Stephanie,

Thanks for the comment. I definitely don't mind you reading! :) So you're in Walnut Creek? Small world. I'm not too far away! Anyway, I had checked your blog out a bit ago too (via Vicky's website) you were in the middle of the drive or fly to move disaster. I totally felt your pain - I was going thru the same trauma! LOL. Anyway, thanks for the note. Nice to know someone other than my Gma reads! LOL I need to catch up on your blog too! :)

gypsyknits said...

Your scarf looks fine, actually it is quite beautiful. I checked your pics and it appears you are doing garter stitch. Maybe you think you're doing it wrong because you "throw" your yarn differently than the books say. Books are only a useful tool of guidelines. Knitting is very forgiving and to each his/her own on technique. Keep up the beautiful work.