19 March 2007

Movie Reviews -- Zodiac

I've been meaning to do this for a week now, and maybe do several small posts, one for each movie. But I put it off and now I have movie piling up.

Zodiac. We saw this last weekend. I really enjoyed it. Long movies generally don't hold my attention, especially ones that are all talk and no action, but I stayed rivited to the screen for all 3 hours (at least it seemed like 3 hours; definitely more than 2). This movie relies on a great director using a great cast with Law & Order style detective work, discussing all the details of the case intricately. Luckily the case was fascinating, particularly due to the locality of it happening around here in the East Bay / San Francisco area. Many people will find this movie boring. There's lots of talk and little graphic violence.

Even though the movie is based on the book by Robert Graysmith, his character in the movie, played by Jake Gyllenhaal, cannot be considered the "main" character. The cast really is a great ensemble featuring Robert Downy Jr., Anthony Edwards, Mark Ruffalo, and many others you'll recognize from movies and television shows, even if you can't remember their names.

Considering how expensive movie tickets are these days, this is a great investment in your per-minute entertainment dollars.

PS: I started this post days ago and only actually posted it on March 28. I have a few more reviews in the hopper but wanted to get this one up. Since I haven't updated in, like, a million years.

No comments: