02 March 2007

We had a 4.2 earthquake a little while ago. The epicenter was just a few miles from where we live. (Check the map here. The quake is the big square under and to the left of the big C in Concord. We live just to the left of the C, at the tiny square.)

USGS says it was "light," and if that's light I want nothing to do with anything stronger. I was freaked. out. It was one of those long, rolling quakes. The whole building whooshed back and forth. And it lasted a long time (according to the news, 10-15 seconds). I was standing in the bathroom. I had enough time to grab the counter and think about how helpless I felt. Lately they've been so quick they're over before I realize it's happened. I heard all the stuff on our shelves rattling. And there have been aftershocks. I can't tell what shaking is my imagination and what's really happening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Living in Vancouver BC, I understand what you mean about earthquakes! We don't have them as frequently as you do, but when Seattle had it's last one a few years ago, we felt it up here and it was the most un-nerving feeling in the world. I'm with you - it was deemed "light" in Vancouver, and I don't want anything to do with stronger than that!