23 December 2008

Sneezin's Greetings

Greetings to all of you in cold climates who will be having white Christmases this week!

Here I am in 80-degree (26 C) weather trying on all the layers I'll need to wear at the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro (where it's way colder than 80 degrees):
All bundled up

I think I'm getting a flu shot today. I haven't had one in about 10 years. And why should I have gotten one? I'm one of those young healthy adults who have been discouraged from getting them recently because I'm not a child, I'm not elderly, and I never worked with children or the elderly. But a nurse that I work with here made a convincing case as to why I should get one this year.

1. I'm in a different place filled with different germs than I'm used to. I think my immune system is starting to get tired of battling new germs.

2. I'll be traveling this winter and be in contact with many international people who have the flu or have been exposed to it. I don't want to get sick on vacation and I should try not to bring the flu back to Bujumbura.

3. If I do get sick with something, it will be easier to rule out specific diseases based on the vaccines I've had. (Oh you had that flu shot, well then these symptoms could be malaria or avian flu!)

4. She's getting a boatload (actually a plane load) of flu shots in today and it will be free.

So what's left to ponder? I certainly don't want to be responsible for the Burndian flu epidemic. I guess I'm getting the shot.

2 comments:

Derien RulesTheNet said...

You don't look as though you have layers on your legs. Let me tell you, I got some goretex rain pants and, with leggings and jeans under them, I was warm as toast in the blizzard the other day! ;)

Stephanie said...

You're right, I don't have my leg layers on. My rain pants aren't here yet and I didn't feel the need for my woolen long underwear!