13 January 2009

Merry, merry

toys4tots 063

I don’t think I mentioned the toy drive here on my blog! The big distribution. I’ve bombarded most people with my flickr photos, so this is my last mention for a while, I promise.

It was a lot of fun. There were some confused, but overall quite happy, children. (Note the ramen noodles in the corner. I don't want to talk about it.) These kids are so sweet. It breaks my heart that I can’t bring them all home with me.

Some of the “children” at the orphanages are actually older teenagers. There are also some adult residents who are physically and mentally handicapped and thus unable to find jobs. (I believe they were wards of the orphanages as children, then allowed to stay there as adults if they’re unable to work.) After my first trip to the orphanages I was concerned that we were collecting too many toys and not enough gifts for older kids and adults. Some people donated money which we used to buy sneakers and messenger bags. I’m glad we did that! They seemed to be much appreciated.


Click on the photo if you haven’t seen the pictures yet to go to flickr.

No comments: