09 June 2009

At least it's the dry season

I dont have my hairdryer. Its in the luggage that may still show up tomorrow. (It didnt show up last Friday, the last tomorrow we were hoping it would arrive on.) But at least its the dry season, so my hair is less frizzy than it would be in the wet season. Also, with both my trench coat and my rain coat in the luggage, I have plenty of time to order new ones before the next wet season.

 Ive already loaded my Amazon.com shopping cart with a new hairdryer and a few other items and if tomorrows flight comes and goes sans luggage, Im pressing the Checkout button. How long am I supposed to wait for Brussels Air to decide if they have our luggage or not? Im hoping that if I go ahead and order a bunch of new stuff, the luggage will of course return. 

Some things we wont be able to replace from here. Mikes in South Africa this week, where hell be able to buy some of the replacement items. (Although I imagine he might be a tad wary about checking his luggage for the trip home.)

This morning I was outside and a familiar, homey feeling came over me. It dawned on me later that it feels like Santa Ana winds blowing through San Diego. I always liked that intense, warm, dry feeling. Last August when we arrived in Bujumbura the dry season had already been going on for a couple months and the weather was oppressive and hazy. Now, early on in the season, the air is warm but light and refreshing, like that first really warm day in June when youre anxious to get out of school or work for the day. But when I think of those warm June days, I think back to Rhode Island, where of course they are more significant than in San Diego because youve slogged through so much snow and rain to finally be rewarded with summer. So I have homey feelings from both coasts working on me today.

4 comments:

Justin said...

Does the airline reimburse you for the value of the lost luggage at all? Hopefully..

Is it hard to get to South Africa, from Burundi? Like, if you wanted to go to Cape Town or something for a short vacation?

Stephanie said...

I think there's a direct flight to Jo'burg but to get someplace decent like Pretoria (where Mike is) or Cape Town, we have to go through Nairobi.

Stephanie said...

Oh, and they'll give us partial reimbursement if they decide the luggage will never be found.

Dad said...

Remember this?

"And what is so rare as a day in June?
Then, if ever, come perfect days;
Then Heaven tries the earth if it be in tune,
And over it softly her warm ear lays:
Whether we look, or whether we listen,
We hear life murmur, or see it glisten;"