19 August 2012

Motivation Monday -- Role Model

"One of the most important things we do for our children is to present them with a version of adult life that is appealing and worth striving for."

Instead of a picture, this week my inspiration comes from a quote at the end of an opinion piece in the New York Times. Since Muffin came along part of why I run is to be a good role model for her. And I've realized that being a healthy, active role model is one thing, but running has become part of a larger role model plan. With Mike's career, we're not always going to be living in places where women are equal to men. It's up to me to show Muffin how to be a strong woman while navigating through those difficult areas, also while trying to figure it out myself. It's safe for me to run in certain parks at certain times of day wearing certain clothes. That's better than not being able to run at all, right? I'm showing Muffin that we have choices, even when society seems oppressive.

I'm running a half marathon on Sunday. I'm running a half marathon on Sunday. I'm running a half marathon on Sunday. I must have a healthy eating week. I must finish all my homework before the weekend so I don't have to worry about staying up late Saturday night or awake Sunday night to finish it. I have some friends running the race, I have some friends running aide stations, and I've got a few places along the route in mind for Mike and Muffin to stand, so I'll have encouragement as I go. I'm going to run slow and steady. I know I can do the distance. If I run slow enough then I'll have a time to beat in the second half marathon next month. I must stop thinking so much and just do it.

It's not a pin, but it's a "run happy" moment that I must keep in mind.


3 comments:

Dani said...

You are most certainly a wonderful role model for muffin and I hear you on wanting to show how tough girls can be in such a (so often) stereotypically gender-divided lifestyle. Good luck in the half marathon!! I hope you have fun and get to really enjoy the race! I remember when I was pregnant one of the things i looked forward to most was having my hubs and my baby (once a little more grown up) waiting at the finish line of a race for me. I guess now I need to find a darn race already! There's a half marathon in Delhi at teh end of September, want to come run? :)

Kim said...

I totally agree with everything you say and feel while running. There is no greater feeling when I see Anna emulate my running. You'll do great on Sunday and I'll be there to cheer you on!

Natasha said...

Good luck!