15 August 2013

"Let me explain..."

"No, it will take too long. Let me sum up." --Indigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

The fog of moving is lifting. Five weeks ago we left Hyderabad. We spent a week at one parent's house and a weekend at another before moving into our hotel room.

We got new driver's licenses. I had to take a written test and a road test. The road test examiner clearly thought I was a waste of his time; he could have been playing video games on his phone rather than making an experienced driver take a token run around the test course.

We found a place to live and we move into it in one week. We found a preschool for Muffin. I am eagerly awaiting the start of school after Labor Day; Muffin is not. I'm too tired to argue with her about it. I want to get her settled in the new house and new neighborhood first. We've been visiting the nearby playground. I'm setting up play dates with children from her new school so she sees some familiar faces on the first day. Hopefully all those things will help her a bit.

Our first shipment of stuff arrived last week, which was mostly toys for Muffin to help her feel more at home with familiar old things in new surroundings. This morning our furniture from California that was packed into storage in 2008, before we left for Burundi, arrived. We're expecting one more shipment from India and a shipment from a storage facility in Europe to arrive within the next few weeks. I'm not worried about the slow pace. I have no where to put stuff other than my dad's garage, which is now almost full. A couple weeks between shipments means I have time to sort through things rather than be overwhelmed and do nothing. As the old furniture from California was loaded into the garage this morning I was making a mental note of what can go up on Craigslist or Freecycle right away. Mike's away at training and won't be back until after we've moved into the new house. I'm hoping to have the house mostly set up by the time he comes home so the weekend will be a real vacation for him, spending time taking Muffin to the beach and playground, rather than shopping or unpacking boxes. 

And that's about it. I've been working, both paid and volunteer, whenever Muffin takes naps or watches Sesame Street. I've hardly run at all but I'm getting back into it.

I'm starting to feel like I might have some control over life in the near future.

4 comments:

Suz and Allan said...

Good luck getting settled in!

Linda Roy said...

I hope all is going well for you in your new place and that you're all settled in!

Dyanne @ I Want Backsies said...

Now, I'm ordinarily a pretty optimistic person, but what are the odds all your belongings will make it to you from all their different storage places around the world? I mean, I hope it all arrives, but if it does, you should probably buy some Powerball tickets.

Stephanie said...

Thanks Suz and Allan and Linda. Unfortunately we're not moved in yet. The place wasn't ready. To be blogged about later. In the meantime I'm expecting another delivery of stuff to my dad's house today.

Dyanne, we're having good luck so far, knock on wood, but I wasn't optimistic at first either. We have one more shipment of stuff plus our motorcycle outstanding and they are both due to arrive in port in a few days. As long as a hurricane doesn't sink the boat. I probably just screwed myself saying that.