25 September 2006

Sunday Update

Mmmm, fall. Even though the weather sticker says 94 degrees, I'm made myself a mug of hot apple cider. I bought some delicious fresh apple cider from farmers' market yesterday. I've been buying apples and thinking about pumpkins. I'm all ready for fall. I wonder how much we'll get here?

Can you believe 94 degrees? This is definitely the warmest place I've ever lived.

Yesterday I ran the Race for the Cure. It was great. The weather was perfect. Sunny, but not too warm. Mike was there as my support team. We were able to park for free in his office building a few blocks from the race staging area. He held my backpack and after the race he greeted me with a nice hot cup of coffee. During the race there were no clocks or mile markers, and I wasn't wearing a watch, so I had no idea what my time was or how I was doing. I let myself relax and enjoy the bayside scenery. And I thought about the $465 my friends and family members had donated to the cause on my behalf. And I admired the breast cancer survivors who ran, and the family teams who walked in remembrance of a lost love one. It was truly uplifting, and I became even more determined to keep myself healthy and to continue working for this cause. I spotted the clock at the finish line, and after I deducted some time for the slow start (it took me a while to actually get across the starting line) I figured I ran right around the goal time I had set for myself--26:30. (Seems like ages ago that I could run that distance in 20 minutes!)

No comments: