08 March 2007

Bunnies in my backyard

Apparently four years ago the City of Walnut Creek changed the Easter Bunny and his Easter Egg Hunt to the Spring Bunny and Spring Egg Hunt, and this year one guy got irked enough to dash off a letter to the editor of our local newspaper (which I don't read; I heard about the story on Colbert Report) and now the War on Easter is being fought right here in my own backyard. I am bugged by so many different aspects of this story. The city was too polictically correct on this one. According to CBS13.com one woman complained about the word "Easter" being used in a community newsletter, so it's out. Logically, now that one man has complained that the word "Easter" isn't being used, it should be back in, right? But why did this guy wait four years to complain? Maybe he could have opened up some legitimate debate if he got outraged four years ago. Now, though, he has FOX News to back him up. Apparently downtown dub-cee has been invaded by "Action News vans" trying to stir up a media frenzy. I haven't been down to look yet. I haven't noticed this on the local news, but I wonder now that both FOX and Colbert have picked up the story if the frenzy will get started.

C'mon. The Easter Bunny has nothing to do with religion. And if you're that concerned about community events, you should actually pay attention to them when they happen.

Easter Bunny Is out in Walnut Creek
Easter Bunny Unwelcome in Walnut Creek
No Bunnies Were Harmed...

No comments: