14 July 2007

lodging, etc.

I found us a place to stay in Edinburgh and the travel agent sent me the rest of our itnerary yesterday, so we are on the way to European Vacationness. National Lampoon's European Vacation happened to be on TV last night, and I could only watch about 20 minutes of it, getting a queasy feeling, thinking that maybe Europe hasn't updated it's hotel rooms in the last 30 years. So, this morning, with itnerary and guidebooks and google in-hand I researched our hotels.

Our room in Edinburgh may have either 2 twin beds or one bunk bed! (It's actually a hostel that rents private rooms.) And it looks like the "double rooms" in our London hotel consist of 2 twin beds. I told Mike that since the UK is at the end our trip, it's just as well that we sleep in separate beds. We'll probably be sick of each other after two weeks in the close quarters of Central Europe tiny hotel rooms and sleeper cars on trains.

One thing I can say about each hotel is that they seem to be well-located, near all the city centers and train and bus stops that we need. And they offer breakfasts. I'm sure they'll all be about the same as the one I stayed at in France a few years ago. Charming and novel in the European sense, but by no means luxurious. That's fine with us. The European free breakfasts tend to be pretty good I think. I'll be bringing GF energy bars and hot cereal, so if I can at least get some coffee in the mornings I'll be good to go. Keeping expectations low but optimism high.

Update: I've confirmed with the hostel: We have a bunk bed room in Edinburgh.

No comments: