I don't feel very holly jolly right now. Last week I was all about Santa concerns, but a defining moment occurred over the weekend (see previous post). Now I'm all about "Don't send gifts; it's just more stuff to pack!"
I know I'm supposed to just relax and have fun with this. I don't feel Grinchy exactly. Just distracted. I'm extremely happy that Christmas dinner will be a low-key event at Mike's cousin's house. I practically need to do nothing and that's one of the greatest gifts I could receive this year.
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper
2. Tree--Real or Artificial? Real. Always real. Growing up our family had a private tree field. "Real" to me is not going to the Home Depot parking lot; it's going to a tree farm and cutting it down. (This year I'll be heading out to Target on December 26 to buy a fake tree to pack for Africa just in case I can't find a real tree there.)
3. When do you put the Christmas tree up? It's different every year.
4. When do you take the tree down? Again, different every year.
5. Like egg nog? I'm not afraid to admit I like egg nog. But I like good egg nog, not chemical corn syrup egg nog.
6. Do you have a nativity scene? Growing up my mom had several. I don't put up any.
7 . Hardest person to buy for? This year, everyone. I'm too distracted for presents right now.
8. Tinsel or Garland on the tree? Neither. The cats would love to try eating it in either form.
9. Worst Christmas gift? I can't remember.
10. Mail or email a Christmas Card? Mail.
11. Favorite Christmas movie? A Christmas Story.
12. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Whenever I see something appropriate.
13. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? You mean regift? I don't think I've thrown a present in the recycle bin. But I don't think I've regifted either.
14. Favorite food to eat on Christmas? Candy canes!
15. Colored or clear lights? Colored! Clear lights are for summer evening outdoor parties.
16. Favorite Christmas Song? Bing Crosby's White Christmas
17. Travel during Christmas or stay home? "Travel" and "home" are such relative terms for us. And it's different every year. I hate traveling during the holidays but staying home means sitting in an apartment by ourselves.
18. Can you name Santa's reindeer's? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donder, Blitzen
19. Star or Angel on tree top? Neither
20. Open presents on Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning
2 1 . Most annoying thing about this time of year? Commercialism