16 September 2010

Baby's First Passport

We are getting settled, or as settled as one can get for six weeks, here in D.C. Mike's back to work and I'm spending my days with Sophie. Babies are miracles and all that, but they're also kind of boring. Yet somehow I don't have any time for reading or writing. Even the boring parts of the day are baby time-consuming. (We also have some internet issues that limit my time online even more.)

Yesterday we submitted the forms for Sophie's passport. We went to CVS for her passport photo. She was amazingly patient as Mike held her up in front of the screen. Pretty much everyone in the store stopped what they were doing to watch the six-week-old baby get her passport photo taken.

In other news, I'd like to buy a new phone for going to India. I'd really like to treat myself to a smart phone, something I can use for internet, twitter, facebook, skype, etc. (My phone in Burundi didn't even do text messaging. I crave more technology.) I know so little about the newest  phones, is all that even possible? I've been told I should look at unlocked quadband phones. Can anyone out there in international blogland give me any advice?

5 comments:

Cara Lopez Lee said...

I wish my parents had gotten me a passport when I was a baby. Not that I'd remember a trip from when I was two. However, by the time I was a teenager I probably would have felt experienced enough to embark on my own worldwide wanderings even sooner. So, you're taking the baby to India? How exciting! What kind of trip will it be & how long?

Justin said...

They truly are pretty boring until they're at least able to communicate more, sit up, etc. At least, that's how I felt too, and I didn't even stay home with them.

Now, they're loads of fun!

Shannon said...

It's Friday, and that means that the Weekly State Department Blog Roundup is up - and you're on it! 



Here is the link:

 http://cyberbones.blogspot.com/2010/09/weekly-round-up.html

If I quoted your text or used your photo(s) and you would rather I had not, please let me know. Please also be sure to check the link(s) that I put up to you, in order to verify that they work properly. If you would rather that I had not referenced you please also contact me. Thanks! 


Anonymous said...

Babies are kind of boring (funny!)

I have no great advice for you on phones ... only to be careful with smartphones as you will have to "unlock" it here in India ... and then there's no guarantee you can use it again once you return state-side (or wherever else you go).

Having said that, I have both an unlocked iPhone (from the USA) that functions here in India AND an iPhone that was purchased HERE in India. Neither one can be updated (via Apple) because so many people have locked them up, and then you have to wait 2-4 weeks before the jailbreak comes out.

Bla, bla, bla -- technology is boring :)

Emily said...

I'm taking the FSOT in a week and have been devouring FSO blogs and came across your. Love it!

Wanted to put my two cents in about a smart phone. If I were you, I would get an Android based phone. SO much better then iPhone. Made by Google, just as many apps as iPhone and you have the option of a physical keyboard if you so choose.