09 February 2011

The Terrible Smell

We have a terrible smell on our terrace. We have gorgeous weather and I'd love to be keeping the back door open and spending time outside with Sophie, but the terrible smell is keeping us closed up indoors. I asked our upstairs neighbor if she knew what it was. She suggested perhaps it's the people next door smoking "something organic." I said, No, I've smelled them smoking pot, and what I'm smelling now on the terrace is not that.

This smell isn't as strong as the soup trees, but it's a worse smell. I suspect it's tree-related. There are these trees with big red, inedible fruits that have been cracking open and falling. I think the smell is the rotting fruit or seeds. It smells like awful bad breath.

For a couple days now I've been opening the door in the morning hoping that the smell has run its course. So far, no.

1 comment:

Phoebe Diamond said...

Like a Durian, but worse perhaps?