01 August 2006

Brrr...

Dare I say it? It's chilly here! I know the rest of the country is still gripped in a heatwave, but we have cooled off big time. Just a few days ago we were so happy it was cool enough to open the windows at night. Now we are getting up and closing them in the middle of the night because it's too chilly. It was about 50 when I woke up this morning at 5:00. The days have been clear, sunny, and mild. We are having lovely East Coast-like September weather.

Last night, in Mike's absence, I picked up my knitting needles. My sewing area isn't set up yet, but knitting I can do from the couch. I haven't done any knitting since last winter, around Christmas time. But in March, I think, we went down to Charlottesville to visit Mike's photography professor from college and I admired some sweaters in her studio that she had knit. A couple weeks after our visit, I was surprised by a huge box of yarn, needles, and pattern books in the mail. She had sent me leftovers. Skeins of beautiful yarns that she didn't have enough of for sweaters but knew I could use for my new-knitter hats and scarves. A collection of needles of all different sizes. And some how-to books pattern books with some lovely sweaters and other projects to inspire me to work up to something big some day. Since I received that great box, though, I haven't done anything with any of the yarn. I finally got around to it. I picked up a green slubby wool and some large needles and started on a chunky scarf.

It must be the chill in the air, but I'm ready to think about fall sewing projects. I've been collecting photos of what I'd like to work on. And some fabrics, too. I suppose I could take over the dining room table if I really want to start sewing, but I'll probably wait until I can set up my sewing room(/office/guest room).

No comments: