12 March 2009

I have no hips

For want of entertainment around here, when a friend said she’d teach a belly-dancing class, I said I’d attend. I don’t know what I was thinking. On one hand, I like exercising and I’ll try just about any workout. On the other hand, I hate people and organized class-type situations. Plus I have no grace or rhythm and I’m not flexible.

Why not give it a shot?

It was fun. The music was catchy. I got to wear a scarf tied around my hips with little jingly coins on it. And while I found the whole thing enjoyable, I wasn’t overcome with the feminine sensuality that women are supposedly overcome by when they do something like try belly-dancing. (It’s like when I shot a gun. I was like, okay, I shot a gun. I didn’t feel strong or empowered.)

I don’t have hips. I’ve always enjoyed my slim figure and never once wished for a waist or hips or an otherwise hourglass figure. I know that technically I was doing all the moves correctly, but my little coins weren’t jingling as loudly as they should have. I probably looked like a robot. A quiet robot.

But I'm going to go back next week. Now that I've started, I want to finish the whole dance. 

Besides, what else am I going to do with my Tuesday nights?

No comments: