19 March 2010

No Home Phone

I was carpooling home the other day with the guy who maintains the phone lines and some of the other communication stuff at the office. When we passed some ditches and large pipes along the side of the road, he excitedly turned to me to explain the latest scandal in town. The ditch project is apparently new water pipes. But overnight someone unburied the old phone cables that the new ditch had partially exposed, and cut the cables and stole them. You can supposedly get a decent price for them in Kenya or Tanzania.

Low and behold, when I got home that afternoon and picked up the phone, the line was completely dead. I'm sure the phone lines will not be replaced any time soon. Not that they were very reliable anyway, and probably should be replaced. But I hate to see backward steps in progress here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Friday, and that means that the Fifth Weekly State Department Blog Roundup is up - and you're on it!

Here is the link:

http://bit.ly/avMY9E

(If I quoted your text or used your photo(s) and you would rather I had not, please let me know. Please also be sure to check the link(s) that I put up to you, in order to verify that they work properly. If you would rather that I had not referenced you, and/or do not want me to reference you in the future, please also contact me.)

Thanks!

______________________________________________

And a big OH NO! about the phone lines!

And I would have tried again to do the survey, but it was some sort of ad for laundry detergent. Sorry!

Cara Lopez Lee said...

Holy smokes! I've heard of people busting up empty houses for copper wiring, but never heard of people stealing phone lines! I'm sorry you'll likely be out of service for a long wait. I'm also sorry that people in Burundi are so desperately poor that they're coming up with such weird ways to make black market money.